British Dressage selectors have announced the UK Sport National Lottery funded dressage squad for the upcoming FEI European Championships, which take place in Aachen, Germany (12-16 August 2015).
This summer’s event is the last major Championship before next year’s Olympic Games in Rio, where GBR will be represented having already qualified a Dressage team place following Team Silver at the World Equestrian Games in 2014.
The selected squad has been named as (in alphabetical order):
- Fiona Bigwood (39) from Horsham, West Sussex with Penny Bigwood’s Atterupgaards Orthilia
- Charlotte Dujardin OBE (30) from Newent, Gloucestershire with Mrs Roly Luard, Mrs Anne Barrott and Mr Carl Hester’s Valegro
- Michael Eilberg (28) from Redditch, Worcestershire with Mr Ferdi Eilberg’s Marakov
- Carl Hester MBE (48) from Newent, Gloucestershire with Miss Jane de la Mare and his own Nip Tuck
Chef d’Equipe Richard Waygood commented; “I’m delighted once again to be taking such a strong British team to a European Championships. I’m looking forward to working with Fiona, as she gets her call-up to the team for the first time since WEG 2010, and for Michael to have a new Championship ride is very exciting.
“We’re in the envious position that yet again we have competitive riders on the team, and looking ahead this is yet another good stepping-stone on the road to Rio.”
Selected Reserves (in order of selection):
- Spencer Wilton (42) from Thatcham, Berkshire with Jen Goodman and his own British Bred Super Nova II
- Anna Ross (42) from Salisbury, Wiltshire with Mrs Jane Sewell’s Die Callas
All four selected athletes contest the team competition (with the three best scores counting); the top thirty athletes after the Grand Prix [team test] then go forward to contest the Grand Prix Special, with only the top fifteen athletes progressing through to the Grand Prix Freestyle.